Virginia has a little bit of everything to suit every student’s lifestyles and needs. As for scenic nature, the state’s stunning beaches and majestic mountains make for perfect mini getaways on weekends or academic breaks. Students with an interest in American history can explore the many museums located throughout the state. The city dweller would love George Mason University, as it is located just minutes away from Washington, D.C. There are almost 200 academic programs available for students to select from at this university!
The first state in the United States to incorporate Greek life in higher education is Virginia. The fraternity, Phi Beta Kappa, was founded at College of William & Mary. Since then, fraternities have become a popular means for students to network, cultivate a sense of community, and meet other individuals with similar interests and career goals. Here are interesting facts about Virginia.
- Virginia was the first state in the US to celebrate Thanksgiving.
- Fraternities and “college bros” were born in Virginia.
- The state has 2 national forests, 16 state forests, and 44 state parks.
- 8 presidents in the United States were born in Virginia, giving the state the nickname “Mother of Presidents.”
- Mechanicsville, VA is home to artist Jason Mraz.
- Parts of Virginia were used to create West Virginia and Kentucky.
- Many Virginians make a living from the tobacco industry.
- In 1865, slavery was abolished in the state.
Virginia supports bright futures by providing a plethora of academic programs for students. Which Virginia degree programs are best for your goals?
Among ranked National Universities, the average cost of tuition and fees for the 2019–2020 school year was $41,426 at private colleges, $11,260 for state residents at public colleges and $27,120 for out-of-state students at state schools, according to data reported to U.S. News in an annual survey.
If your child receives free or reduced lunch, or has an EFC of $0, we can bring your costs down even more! Please mention this during your consultation.